Sunday, April 4, 2010

Like a duck to water...almost!


Those of you that know us, know that J has always been a bit reluctant when it comes to swimming. By a bit, I really mean A LOT. I took him to baby-swim classes (as all good new mothers do) when he was a little over a year old. These classes ended in tears, usually mine, after he spent the whole time screaming at me. Fun fun fun - NOT! We had to pull out before he could graduate.

Looking back, I'm guessing that the swimming wasn't fun for him because of his ears. He has since had three sets of grommets, poor boy. So he has never really enjoyed swimming.

Fast forward to March 2009, and school swimming meant he had to take part. This resulted in tears and arguments when being dropped off at school on swimming days. I couldn't even go as a parent-help to the pool, because I knew he would refuse to get in if I was there. By the time that Bluestone had it's end of year pool party in December 2009, he was happy to play in the pool with his mates (according to the teacher, as I was still not prepared to go with him and put up with the ensuing drama).

Now, in March 2010, it is school swimming time again. And this time he ASKED me to come and watch. I wasn't even sure that I wanted to go, to be honest, but I was SO proud when I got there and saw what he could do. Using a kickboard, he could kick himself across the width of the pool. All by himself. With a smile. Unheard of!


And he could put his head right under the water (as long as he had his goggles on, and was holding his nose!). See?




So here he goes, off across the pool...



It really is a pretty long way... see how tiny he looks on the far side?!


And then he did it all over again to come back to me.


Such a look of concentration!


Nearly there...


Made it! And VERY proud of himself to boot!


So I think we may have cracked that nut. Thank goodness! Hooray!!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey ya Becks

Cool photos of in the pool, must be releif he looks like he is enjoying himself. Just one question arn't the goggles supposed to be over his eyes and not the top of his head.:)

Cheers
Jo