Monday, March 8, 2010

JC Bunny...


I thought I'd show you one of J's little friends - JC Bunny. I made him for J quite some time ago, as you can tell by the much-loved look he has about him now (ie, the fact that he looks a bit manky!).




I spent one night this week repairing a whole lot of soft toys that were in the 'one day when I can be bothered I'll fix these' pile. They mostly had loose buttons, split seams, etc. Made me think a little about today's throw-away society. How often when something gets broken do we simply throw it away rather than try to fix it? Some things we have no choice - my sister in law had to buy a new video camera when the battery died on her old one. Nothing wrong with the camera per se - just that it needed a new lithium battery. Which they no longer make. Very convenient for the camera company - oops, sorry, you'll have to buy a new one.

Other things are simply cheaper to replace rather than fix - which seems crazy. You can buy a new DVD player for $40 these days. Ten years ago you wouldn't have DREAMED of an appliance that cheap. Why is it that some things have gotten cheaper over time? When I bought my first computer package complete with printer and scanner back in 1997, we had to spend $4,500 to get a middle of the road one. Now you can buy top notch ones for less than half that. Nuts.

And why, if some things have gotten cheaper, do we seem to have less disposable income, not more? These days, we live in a society where we want what we want, and we want it NOW. We no longer WAIT until we have saved enough to buy something - why bother when you can take it home today and not pay for it until 2026? Slight exaggeration, but you get my point. We don't think twice about jumping in the car to go out and pick something up from the shops. Sometimes it COULD wait. We could SAVE the petrol until we really NEEDED to go out. But we don't, do we? Sometimes I think we would do better to share the attitudes of our forebears who didn't have the luxuries we have today. If we all thought a little more and spent a little less, we might live more meaningful lives. How's that for deep and meaningful on a Monday morning?! Food for thought maybe...

On a lighter note, I spotted my niece and nephew in the paper this morning...


They were at a Heart Children thing on Saturday - helping to paint a canvas. 9 year old Brianna is in the front left hand corner, and 4 year old Alex is back a little from her (navy pants and brown top). These are two of my three nieces and nephews - these two have a little brother, 2 year old Cameron. Alex has had heart surgery already at his young age, poor wee man. He is such a sweetie.

Right - time to make J's lunch and get out the door...

Toodles, B x

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jenn from Ash said...

Very thoughtful especially for a Monday morning but unfortunately quite true. Can you come sort out my box of fix-its too pleeze.
Jenn